Aug 16, 2017

Eileen Hull Journal with Seth Apter Stamps and Dies


It's time for a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie and our fabulous hostess Suzz has chosen the theme On the Cutting Edge.  She say, "Having recently acquired some beautiful new dies I thought it might be time to bring them out and show them off.  This challenge is all about using your dies, punches or other cutting tools to create a masterpiece featuring at least one die cut / punched image.   Make sure your art is in the vintage or shabby chic style and incorporates a die cut or punch."


I was inspired to use the infamous Eileen Hull Journal Scoreboards XL Die by Sizzix.  This die is causing quite the stir in the crafting world and I couldn't wait to try my hand with it!  I played with a couple of these Seth Apter Ray of Light dies and found a happy composition, which fit perfectly onto the journal cover.


I covered the dies with Prima texture pastes and then watered Vintage Photo Distress Oxide to tone it down, wiping away as needed.  I wanted to make some contrast in between the rays, so I created an overlay for my journal.


I cut my watercolor paper to size and then cut out the two shapes to make a frame for my inlaid textured dies.  Around that, I cut some holes with the Tim Holtz Mixed Media dies.  I often use texture paste for this, but created a reverse effect for my cover by using the MM dies.


I decided the smallest of Seth's Coffee Ring Dies would make a great frame over the circles in the ray die.  I embossed them in Wendy Vecchi's Watering Can EP twice to create an enamel effect.  Later I added a third larger circle to complete the look.  I mixed in a Paper Doll and some ephemera with a Quote Chip.  The cloth label was a gift from my friend Carol from IKEA.  I hand cut the gentleman's crown and embossed it with gold EP.


I glued a Clipola paper clip to frame his face.  What a whimsical character!  :)


I treated my cover with a variety of Distress Oxides and embossed a Carabelle Studio text stamp in white for contrast.  I splashed on some black gesso and outlined everything with a fine black pen.


I don't have any elastic, so I punched more holes in the center and used a pamphlet stitch and waxed linen to bind my pages.  I attached this awesome snip of upholstery tacks with brads.  My fabulous teamie Sara Emily gave me this when we met up at the beach - love love love!  Thanks sweetie!   Here's a gaze at my inserts.  I used TH Memoranda paper to cover some loose-leaf grid paper, that I cut to size.





Not many flaps and fussy elements inside.  I want to use this to actually write on the paper, so I left out that kind of bulk.


The back inked up so well that I actually wished I could use it to start a new journal and make a second back for this one.  Ha!  But time didn't allow.  I used matte Mod Podge to adhere the die cut overlay to the front cover and then decided to seal the entire cover with MP.  The feel of it is great!


How about you?  What dies are you itching to put to action?  Break them out and play along!  We'd love to have you join our challenge.  One lucky winner will receive a $25 gift card to the Funkie Junkie Boutique!


Do you want to learn more about creating books and mini albums?  Would you like another opportunity to win a Funkie Junkie Boutique gift card?  Follow along with my new blog, Mini Album Makers, which will be filled with book making tutorials, showcasing even more Funkie Junkie products!






I'm also sharing with:
(I was inspired by THIS post, the size, the composition, the colors)
A face - Gentleman
Papers - Patterned Paper & Grid Paper
Letters, numbers - Text Stamp on Cover & Words
Blue for the colour of the European Union, Union Jack - Blues & Greens
Ribbon, twine, string or lace - Waxed Linen and Twine
Textures – take inspiration from history from ancient civilisations to the fall of the Berlin Wall - Texture with the Circle Die Cut
Something both vintage and modern - Vintage Images with Modern Graphic Design Die Cut
#itac17 #itac17challenge1 #aallandcreate

53 comments:

sarascloset said...

Oh, my gosh, YES! This is AMAZING! I couldn't sleep tonight knowing this was going live at 2 am! Speechless is what I am, and ga-ga over your journal, inside and out! You've done this album and Seth's dies PROUD! I dancing a happy dance that you found such a creative use for those upholstery tacks! I can go to bed now! Love this! Sending great big hugs!

Nikki Acton said...

Fabulous! X

Redanne said...

Oh, be still my beating heart.... Autumn, you have used Eileen's and Seth's dies so beautifully to make this incredible journal!!! I am in love with the way you did the front and I see what you mean about that gorgeous back too. The strip along the side of the journal is such a perfect finishing touch - really, this is just incredible!! Hugs, Anne xx

R's Rue said...

Nice.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Wow, wow, wow! This journal is spectacular. I love all the wonderful die cut layers and elements on the front, and I agree..the back is so beautiful it should be the star of its own show. You never fail to inspire and delight me! xo

Jackie PN said...

AUTUMN!!!!!
This is OUT OF THIS WORLD A-MA-ZING!!!
and yes, i meant all caps! Your style and design,know,no bounds! Love- love- love this journal!!
Jackie xx

A Pink said...

Being the Queen of Journal and mini book making this die was meant for you Autumn and what an absolutely fabulous Journal you have created both inside and out . LOVE how you have used Seths dies for the front cover focal feature, the reverse effect with the MM dies too- very effective. Great choice of embellies and wonderful colours. Your journal queen crown remains well n truly intact , Autumn my talented crafty friend hugs x

LilArtsyWoman said...

A "beauty" inside and out.

Marci said...

Love the verdigris color you achieved and I like the back of it, too.

Suzanne C said...

This is gorgeous inside and out! I love how that ray die just emanates outward behind your focal image and the pop of color on it against the light background is fantastic. Gorgeous journal!

Marjan said...

You always surprise me with yet another gorgeous creation, this is o absolutley beautiful!!

gibonik said...

wow! Amazing book:)

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful Journla Autumn - in and out!

Jane Savage said...

What an amazing project! Such incredible detail! xxx

Linda Kunsman said...

absolutely gorgeous journal front to back and everything in between!

Lisa said...

Oh wow!! Spectacular!! It took me so long to comment because I was studying the pictures!! The colors, layers and texture are amazing!! Wow!! I love, love this, my friend!! You did a phenomenal job with it!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Susan said...

Wow this is gorgeous Autumn! Fabulous tutorial too!

Kate Yetter said...

So fabulous! I love your cover! Such amazing texture and colors. I especially like your use of the dies. And such clever binding!
Kate

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Beautiful combination of Eileen's and Seth's dies. Adore the texture and colours. Wonderful design. Tracy x

Lisa H said...

this is a gorgeous journal!!! I love it1

Antique Paperie Co said...

This is gorgeous! I absolutely love it!! ♥♥

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

What a fun challenge and you executed it to perfection! It always baffles me how you manage to create so many amazing projects in such short period of time! This journal looks superb inside out!

Donna Ellis said...

Intriguing and interesting, Autumn! You have such a wonderful way of combining colors and layers to create fabulous textures! xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A great collaboration of dies Autumn, this surely is a stunning journal. From outside in, you never fail to bring a happy smile to my face each time I visit with your outstanding talent and creativity. Thank you for sharing with us all over at That's Crafty. Hugs Tracey xx

Jenny Marples said...

Totally wowzers Autumn! LOVE how you've combined the die cuts and yummy colour to create a fabulous journal. Excited to see your new challenge too! As a book/journal fan I think it's such a brilliant idea! xx

eileen hull said...

Autumn- this is a show-stopper! Wow, and so glad you explained the mystery of what you had done with the spine :-) Just beautiful- <3

Monika Gulyas said...

This is beautiful Autumn! I love how you arranged the cut-outs and other paper elements and how you mixed the colours! Fabulous design! Thank you for joining the August challenge of the Country View Challenges blog!

Sabine said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!

craftytrog said...

Wow! I love your beautiful book Autumn! xx

Etsuko said...

Amazing journal!! The covers and pages are so beautiful, I love how you have used Seth's stamps and dies. xx

Lys said...

I also love the back and I think it must have been difficult to give up on your idea. It's a gorgeous journal, the cover is so rich and the pages inside very inspiring. Beautiful!

Marty F said...

Love love love this! When I saw this die at my local store and the sample, I thought it was nice, but not for me. Having seen what you did, though, now I'm re-thinking that decision. This is just fabulous! I love the entire book, but your front cover is amazing - love how you inlaid the die, your embellishments, everything...you also made great use of those upholstery tacks - wow!!! A new favorite, Autumn! Hugs!!

geezercrafter said...

Excellent book Autumn, love all of the ephemera.

Tracey said...

Wow...what a fabulous journal, you are so creative, its beautiful!

crafty-stamper said...

WOW absolutely amazing love the fabulous papers and the back and cover are brilliantlove how you used the dies for the overlay very inspiring
Carol x

Julie said...

This is such an inspirational design Autumn. I love your clever use of colour and texture, fresh and vintage all at the same time and what a cool dude to finish off!
You have inspired me to make another purchase... Creative hugs x

Words and Pictures said...

That cover is absolutely stunning, Autumn - a new favourite for me. All that sensational texture and glorious colours. Love how you've used the die-cuts, both Tim's and Seth's, and the weathered finishes are amazing. Fab-u-lous!
Alison x

Annie said...

Your journal is absolutely amazing Autumn...love the covers and the way you have used the dies etc.....fabulous. The inside is amazing too...hugely inspired to get out my die ..that is once I have finished the clearing out that I started !!!!

TFS and best wishes
Annie xx

Helen Wallace said...

A stunning new project from Chez Autumn! Such wonderful details, lovely embellishments, room for lots of journalling and the whole thing is a triumph. Love, love, love.

Lys said...

and thanks for playing along with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge!

Craftyfield said...

The upside with books is there is more opportunity for stamping, stencilling, embellishments... so much to look at!! Fab projects Autumn, thanks for showing us at Country View Challenges.

Corrie Herriman said...

Nice ! Thank you for joining my challenge over at Country View Challenges !
Corrie xx

Art By Wanda said...

A really fabulous book, Autumn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kareen Dion said...

Beautiful design! Thanks for joining us for the challenge on 13@rts!

Sandra Bernard said...

this is amazing!!!thanks for playing with us at 13arts challenge

Paper Attic said...

Very cool! I love everything about it, the vintage feel is awesome, thanks for joining us at 13arts!

Deb said...

So gorgeous Autumn, adore how you inset Seth's wonderful die cuts in the cover of Eileen's fabulous Journal die and love how you used Tim's papers in the inside, brilliant idea to punch more holes so you could use the pamphlet stitch! Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

Julie S said...

Holy smokes! This is gorgeous!

Nancy Wethington said...

I adore this! Love the beading on the binding too. Autumn, your work is always gorgeous and I love your style!

Gloria Stengel said...

So...this is awesome! Aren't these journals just fun to make??!! That binding/spine is wonderful. Love it!

Nancy Wethington said...

Another inspiring mini! I adore your work. The finishes you use are amazing including the decorated spine. Thanks for being such an amazing DT leader!

Inna Bronnikova said...

This is amazing! Autumn, I really love all your work!

Cocofolies said...

I adore this book!!!!!
Thank you for sharing so wall as usual the way you did this, and all your photos.
Have a nice day and fun to create dear Autumn,
Hugs

Popular Posts